Walking Tour 3

Map of Walking Tour 3 (PDF)

Clark Mumaw

Burial site located at Block 20, Lot 54, Space 2

Transcribed by Marge Priser

Clark Mumaw Marks 50 Years in Business        

One of the men who knows Warsaw and its people best is Clark Mumaw, shown here, veteran news dealer, who celebrates his 50th anniversary in business next Tuesday, Sept. 2. (Photo by Blosser from microfilm)

In the span of half a century Mumaw has watched the town double in size, acquire paved streets and many new industries. 

In 1902, when Mumaw first went into business for himself, hitching racks lined the courthouse square.  Instead of gasoline stations the town was full of livery stables and blacksmith shops where horses were shod.  Telephones were just coming into common use for business houses and the idea of flying through the air was as theoretical as a trip to the moon is at present.

In those days the agency for Chicago papers was handled by young George Fowler whose family ran the White House hotel where the Burr store is now.  A dozen boys sold the old Inter-Ocean, the Record Herald, and others on the streets.

When Mumaw bought out George Fowler he kept the stand in the hotel for about two years.  Speck Ettinger, lifelong friend and favorite customer recently showed Mumaw a 1903 Warsaw city directory containing this ad:  "White House News Stand, 113 and 115 East Center street, all the metropolitan dailies and periodicals delivered to all parts of the city, Clark W. Mumaw, proprietor, Telephone 106."  At that time the magazine stock included 25 or 30 publications.  Nowadays Mumaw handles 500.

Moves Store
He moved the agency into the old building on Shane's corner now the site of the Judd drug store.  Erected in 1854, Henry Shane had a grocery store there from 1863 until Jodey Sparks and Mr. Goble took it over for a barber shop.

Business picked up as the town grew, streets were paved and the Winona interurban line was built.  In 1909 five years later, Mumaw moved back to the old hotel which by this time had become the interurban depot.  His store occupied the west side of the large waiting room.

When the Centennial block, built by McDonald and Widaman, replaced replaced the old Huffer livery barn and a Chinese laundry on the corner, Clark transferred to the new building along with the railroad headquarters.  He kept the same location for 16 years then spent 13 years in the Stephenson building down the block.  In 1945 he moved his agency to the Mallers room, now the Western auto store, but stayed there only 17 months before setting up business in his present location on North Buffalo street.  His moving days are over, apparently because Mr. and Mrs. Mumaw bought the building a year ago.

Quits Wholesaling
For a long time Mumaw carried on a wholesale enterprise in addition to his store.  Roy Cassel was manager in charge of distribution throughout the county and surrounding area.  Mumaw sold the wholesale agency five or six years ago to W. P. Ramsey of Argonne road.

Reminiscing about the past Clark recalls when dramatic and musical projects were a major part of Warsaw's social life. He sang baritone in numerous choirs and quartets for 35 years or more and played "Pooh Bah" in an ambitious production of "The Mikado" which scored a tremendous success.  Probably his favorite dramatic role was that of an elderly miner in the play "Uncle Reub", although his part as a French court in another show as great fun, too.

Likes Sports
Clark's interest in sports started yearly and is still very keen.  He keeps in the store a picture of the 1905 Warsaw high school team that won the state high school championship by defeating Sheridan High of Indianapolis.

Listed under the photo are the names of Coach Brennan and the players who included Fred Trish, right halfback, Dick Wilcox, quarterback, Walter Bartol, right end, Cloice Hatfield, left tackle and Herbert McCleary, left half.

In those days each school provided one referee.  Clark worked that memorable game which ended with a score of 6-5.  He also umpired a lot of baseball before the advent of softball.

Surveying the changes in his magazine and newspaper wares Clark stated that a flood of comic books, perhaps 250 different ones, weekly and monthly have taken the place of the old Nick Carter dime novels.  Decades ago types like true detective and confession magazines weren't even dreamed of.  The development of photography as a hobby, movies, radio and television created a vast magazine market.  In recent years sales of pocket book editions of classics, westerns and mysteries have grown enormously.

Operating a news agency has always meant long working days for Clark.  He appreciates having a good staff whose capability allows him to spend fewer hours on the job in recent years.  He's always on duty from mid-afternoon through evening with the others carrying on the rest of the time.  They are Mrs. T. W. (Florence) Rudd, who has worked at Mumaw's seven and one-half years, Eldon Brallier, three years and Earl Ruihley, high school student and part-time worker the past two and one-half years.

Warsaw Times Union, Saturday August 30, 1952


Rube & Avis Ferns

Burial site located at Block 20, Lot 43, Space 9

By Marguerite Sand, Times-Union Women's Editor.  Transcribed by Marge Priser.

Rube Ferns and His Own Show 

For many years the color and excitement of vaudeville, chautauqua, the lyceum, circuses, road and stock shows were part of the lives of local residents, Reuben and Avis Ferns.

"We loved every minute of it," they will tell you today if you ask them about their many experiences in the entertainment world. They are not completely removed from grease paint, bright costumes, the sound of dancing feet. Mrs. Ferns teaches more than 100 students at her dance studio here. Her husband operates a costume business that ships to all parts of the United States.

Last night at the Warsaw high school the auditorium was filled to capacity as Mrs. Ferns presented her pupils in the annual dance revue sponsored by the Warsaw Dramatics club. The proceeds will be used to help area young people further their education.

Takes Them Back
Getting ready for such an event takes a lot of time and work but the Ferns do not mind, for it takes them back to a phase of their lives when they applied the make up, wore the colorful costumes, stood in the wings waiting their cues, heard the applause, knew they had once again put on a good performance.

In these young people they see themselves as they were many years ago. They keep waiting for one who will have that special spark, that love of the stage that will keep him or her working until the top in show business is reached.

Mrs. Ferns, a native of Warsaw, was the former Avis Schue. Her step-father, Charles Argerbright, was at one time employed by the Northern Indianian. Mrs. Ferns had a fine singing voice and Jennie Frazer, a vocal instructor in the city school system encouraged her to train it. Bess May Lowery, of Warsaw, was her first voice teacher.

Those of the older generation will remember Mrs. Lowery, who at one time was connected with chautauqua. Her husband, Homer was a professor of engineering at Purdue university.

Appears at Winona
Later Mrs. Ferns studied with Prof. W. H. Owens, of Chicago, and a Prof. Blumenshine at Dayton, Ohio. IN the meantime her fine lyric soprano voice could be heard at Winona Lake as she appeared in chautauqua programs. Some will remember her in the role of Yum-Yum in Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Mikado."

At last Prof. Owens believed she was ready to audition in Chicago. IN the office of a theatrical agency the manager of a musical comedy heard her sing, signed her up for a road show. She joined the stock company at Traverse City, Mich. It was there she met Mr. Ferns, who was producer-director and comedian of the show.

Reuben Ferns was born in Newark, N.J., the son of John W. and Sarah (Morris) Ferns. His father was a Shakespearean actor, minstrel and a champion clog dancer. The mother was a short story writer. At the age of two, Mr. Ferns' theatrical training started. When he was four his father taught him to dance. Shortly thereafter the family moved to St. Louis where he received his education. Mr. Ferns instructed four brothers. For three years Mr. Ferns and his brother, Marty, teamed up in a song and dance act. Marty eventually became a clown and animal impersonator at the Hippodrome in New York City. An injury ended his short career.

Learns to Dance
When Mrs. Ferns first joined the company she sang ballads and played piano, while Mr. Ferns taught her to dance. He had been a "pedestal dancer." Elevated above the floor on a 14-inch square pedestal top he could tap out a fast rhythm. Later he was one of the first to adopt the famous style of Fred stone, now identified with Ray Bolger. That first year they played towns for a week at a time-in tents in the summer, opera houses in the winter. Mrs. Ferns learned not only to dance and sing, but to act, as well.

In 1918, the Ferns were married. Not only did they team up martially but as Ferns and Avis in vaudeville. He was a character comedian, known for his rube, tramp and eccentric characterizations. His wife sang, danced, acted as his "straight man."

Coast to Coast
Traveling from coast to coast and in Canada, the Ferns appeared in such name places as the Wigwam in San Francisco, the Princess theater in Boston. During the War years they played in bond and Red Cross benefit shows. In their travels he was invariably asked by hotel clerks. "Rooms for yourself and daughter?" It was a joke with them, for Mrs. Ferns weighed but 80 pounds.

Those were wonderful years, and the Ferns' experiences were varied as they went from vaudeville to musical comedy to repertoire stock shows, and did some night club work. They were billed in "Peg O My Heart," "Tennessee's Partner," "Little Women," "Abie's Irish Rose," "Silk Stockings" and many others.

In musical comedy Mrs. Ferns not only had prominent roles but she produced chorus numbers and trained the line. Many costumes were of her designing, and she made all her own. There were "fat" days, and there were "lean" days, but they loved it.

With the advent of talkies the bottom dropped out of show business. Not wanting to do night club work, the Ferns returned to Warsaw 18 years ago. He started the costume shop, is a member of the National Costumers association. Upon request Mrs. Ferns started to teach dancing. She is a member of the National Association of Dance and Affiliated Artists. She has taught more than 8000 students in this area.

First Students
Darwin Eherenman, of Warsaw, was her first student. Then along came Dorothy May Stookey (Hartman). Her little girl is now attending classes. Other students in those earlier years were Burleigh Burgh, the Emerick sisters and the William Long children, Mary Ann, Arthur and Margie. The latter were with her the longest. Margie now helps her teach Saturday morning classes. Brooks Black, who is well-known for his tap on roller skates, was one of her pupils.

Each year Mrs. Ferns attends the dance seminar in Chicago, and has students appearing at the Hinote dance festival at Flint Michigan.

Although the Ferns are no longer young in years, their interests are young. They love children who return their affection, appreciate Mrs. Ferns; patience and understanding, and Mr. Ferns ability to entertain. They have not really left the bright lights they enjoyed so much in their youth. They have brought them home with them.

Warsaw Times-Union Saturday June 8, 1957


Lucy Upson

Burial site located at Block 27, Lot 49, Space 4

By Ann Wharton, Staff Writer.  Transcribed by Marge Priser.

Lucy Upson: The Lady and the Law 

That particular day there was definitely something different about her office. Her desk was almost cleared. Usually stacks of work are everywhere. When a client comes in, she searches through a particular pile to find the item "she knows" is right there somewhere and it usually is.

Fifty years is a long time to be in one profession. But Miss Lucy Upson will have 50 years as a member of the American Bar Association behind her next July and she's still not sure when she will retire.

Her first step toward retirement was in 1957 when she sold her building in Warsaw and built an addition onto her home in Winona Lake. That was for semi-retirement. Finally in 1967 she became associated with William Dalton II, who does the court work now.

Can't Seem to Retire
But as she said, "I still have clients and I still have interest." So somehow she never got around to retiring. That she wrote more than 500 wills last year proves it.

The fact that she still has clients accounts for the fact that she never retires. The fact that she has clients also accounts for the fact that she became a lawyer in the beginning.

Miss Upson started in law as a legal secretary with the Vesey Law Offices, Fort Wayne, in 1909, following her graduation from the Fort Wayne International Business College.

She had a brief vacation (less than a year) from the field when she moved with her family to Vancouver, Wash. and worked at the Vancouver National Bank. The family returned to Kosciusko County a year later, and she worked for Stookey and Anglin as a legal secretary.

Had Clients Before Degree
After both partners had died, she discovered that she had clients. She had read a substantial amount of law and decided she should work for a degree. She enrolled in a law correspondence course from Chicago, obtained her L. L. B. degree and was admitted to the bar in 1926.

She was the last person to take the bar examination locally before a committee in the county. She took an oral exam over the entire scope of the law. All aspiring attorneys today go to Indianapolis for extensive written bar examinations.

Her career has brought challenges and satisfaction to the 88-year-old attorney who conquered new frontiers by entering law. When she first entered law, the only other women attorneys she knew were in Indianapolis. Besides being the first woman to practice law in Kosciusko County, she was the first woman attorney to appear in Elkhart Circuit Court. Today she is still the only woman attorney in the county. In addition to working in Kosciusko and Elkhart counties, she has had cases venued to all the surrounding counties and is familiar with the courts.

Favored Compromise of Cases
Lucy contends that she has never been much of an orator. Her method has been one of successful compromise on behalf of her clients. As she says, "I was always more of a compromiser than I was a fighter in court. I'll say that I was unusually lucky at being able to be at the right place or knowing the right thing to say at the right time to work things out."

In recounting her most interesting case, she pointed out that it was not terribly dramatic, but very satisfying. It was a damage suit where a land owner had assaulted a tenant in an effort to get the tenant to move. She came to Lucy to file charges. The case was venued to Elkhart County, and she was against what she would term the best lawyer in Northern Indiana, although a lot of people said he was the best in the state Sam Parker.

Winning Her Case
It was a jury trial and the first time Parker had been in a courtroom with a woman. That woman won $500 in damages for her client. She said "I've never been an orator, but I made my speech to the jury and won."

Part of her success she attributes to her care in preparation. She cited several incidents where her extra attention to detail made the difference between winning and losing the case. "If you're a woman in a field like this, where men are in the same field, you have to be sure that you are prepared. A lot of men go into court not very well prepared."

Continuing, she recalled, "I remember arguing a point of law on a claims case Judge John Sloan presided. The other attorney was George Bowser, who was newer in the field than I was. I knew I was making points that he had a right to object to, but I went on anyhow like you always do because I had a good brief on the subject."

She stopped a minute in her story to stress the importance of a good brief when an attorney goes into court. "Someone," she said, "has said that a lawyer in court without a brief is like a ship without a rudder. But a lot of attorneys go into court without one."

Pays Attention to Detail
Finally, Judge Sloan asked George Bowser if he wasn't aware that I was making statements that could be objected to. He sort of straightened up like he had been asleep and said, "Oh, I object!"

She once won a case against Walter Brubaker, "who was a very good lawyer because I had a point in that case that I don't think he had thought of applying to this particular case. But it did. The judge decided it in my favor. He (Brubaker) was surprised that he would be beat on a point of law because he would remember the book and the page where a thing was cited. He had a very good memory and good knowledge of law."

Not Bothered by Discrimination
Asked if she had suffered discrimination because of her sex throughout her career, she could think of only one time. On that occasion she as involved in a case that required working with Morrison Rockhill. When she called him about the case, he told her he simply couldn't work it out with her because he couldn't talk to a woman. That was the end of the conversation. Rockhill was in partnership with Walter Brubaker, who contacted her and worked out a compromise on the case. Eventually, according to Lucy, she and Rockhill became fairly good friends and respected one another.

Perhaps part of the reason that discrimination hasn't been a problem is the fact she seems to command respect naturally. According to Mrs. Mabel Robinson, who has been Lucy's friend for more than 55 years, "She demands courtesy without trying. People naturally treat her with respect. Through everything she is fair, but just. She loves people.

Mrs. Jean Coverstone, who has known Lucy through her aunt, Mrs. Nellie Tuckey, since Jean was a girl, says she has never seen Lucy lose her dignity. "It's just a natural part of her." Mrs. Tuckey was Kosciusko Circuit Court reporter for years and a close friend of Lucy's.

Doesn't Need NOW
Concerning the Equal Rights Amendment and the National Organization of Women, she states, "If you're a woman and want to compete with men, you can do that without an organization and being represented. I refused to join NOW for that reason.

"I've never asked special favors because I was a woman. I transacted business as a business person along with other lawyers."

Mixed Business and Pleasure
Her strongest interests during her career have been estates, real estate contracts, and tax work. In fact, it was through her work with estates that she took one of the most memorable trips of her life.

In 1930 she had a client who had received an inheritance. Among the items in the estate was a Studebaker that required delivery to her client in the state of Washington. Ingenious person that she is, it occurred to her that perhaps the best solution for her client was for Lucy to deliver it in person.

She contacted several girlfriends who equipped themselves with $100 apiece, bedding for the cabins they'd be staying in "there went any luxury motels then), and a spirit of adventure. They arrived in tact at her client's

The next major decision was on a method to get home. The group decided to buy a car of questionable merit for the return trip. The Star, as the model was called was packed and the women headed for Lucy's brother's in California.

Missed Bad Accident
Event number one occurred before they ever got there. A minor collision halted their progress just south of San Francisco. Lucy contacted her brother, Harold, who rescued them. Following a safe arrival at his home, the two of them went back to pick up the stranded car. As they returned to San Jose, one wheel simply fell off and rolled into the field.

A few days later, with the car repaired, they set off for home. Her brother told her that he wouldn't trust the thing to take him to San Francisco, let alone to Indiana. But she was considered the unusually lucky one of the family.

Stalled Near Station
Close to a town, Vallejo, Calif., they had their first trouble with an overheated engine. From there they continued across the desert and the mountains to Nevada. All at once the car wouldn't run. Looking across the desolate area, they saw a town within walking distance! The man, upon looking at the car, determined that it needed a coil. It just happened that he had one in stock. It was close to evening, so Lucy and her companions had to find a place to sleep. They took the best there was available a couple of empty miner's cabins.

There in the middle of nowhere, Lucy lay down and slept soundly all night while one of the other girls listened to the jack rabbits and never slept a wink.

According to Mrs. Robinson, "If she goes to sleep you might as well just move her out of the way; she doesn't know anything." This advantage of being able to sleep under all circumstances has been a blessing that Lucy has enjoyed all her life, even when she broke her hip last January.

Fixes Engine for 50 Cents
The rest of the journey proved to be as eventful as the first. Detours provided a challenge. They were always over rough gravel roads that were filed with chuckholes. The point of it all was to keep out of the ruts.

But one time they fell in. There was no way out. A man following behind them came up and inspected the car. "Your engine's about to fall out," he informed them. He was able to wire it up temporarily.

As they limped along, one of the girls remembered that a woman in Leesburg had given her the name of her nephew who lived somewhere in that very area. Better than that, he worked in a garage. The sheet of paper with the name on it was finally found, and they located him. He fixed the car for fifty cents.

Sprang Springs
After hundreds of miles of bouncing and jostling, the springs grew weaker and weaker. In Illinois one gave way. They found help again, and the spring was replaced with a block. The last miles to Indiana were uneventful, and they arrived home with most of their $100 in their purses. Finally they sold the Star for $100.

Has Spirit of Adventure
Certainly that estate case brought a fair share of adventure. That spirit of adventure is still with her, and it makes her a special person. Life is not something just to be endured. Her associate, William Dalton, II, described it "She is a fantastic person. She is one of the most positive persons I have ever met. Her attitude is always cheerful"

Her secretary, Kay Mitterling, confirms this outlook. "She is very easy to work for and to get along with." Mrs. Robinson describes her as jovial. She said, "During her illness (when Lucy broke her hip), I never heard her complain." Her dry wit is another very positive asset.

At 88 Lucy's still traveling. In October she flew to San Jose, Calif to spend three weeks with her brother, Harold. In February or March she plans a trip to Osprey, Fla. to visit her sister Mildred Miller.

Not Planning An Estate
Ironically Lucy doesn't plan to leave an estate. Her philosophy is to enjoy her money and travel rather than leave any estate that will give a large fee to an attorney.

Traveling is her favorite hobby and she has visited all 50 states. She used to enjoy traveling by car but now flying is her favorite.

Her most lasting impression of a flight was one she took to Alaska in 1947. She took a round-about flight in a small plane to go to Washington state and thought she was never going to get there.

The most spectacular sight was on the flight to Alaska. "We went up over the water, and you could see all the glaciers and the blocks of ice falling from the glaciers into the bay."

On the return flight she was impressed by the beauty "when the sun came up and it seemed that all of Canada was ablaze with sunlight from the plane. I have never seen anything so magnificent as that view from the plane."

Enjoys Remarkable Stamina
People who meet her or who knew her years ago find it remarkable that she is still active in her profession and interested in traveling.

Her memory is clear. In fact, Bill Dalton contends that she remembers things better than he does sometimes. Recently Mrs. Jean Coverstone met Lucy in a restaurant and stopped to speak to her.

They spoke of a trip to Florida that Jean, Lucy, Nellie Tuckey and her son, John had taken. "I remember that," Lucy said, "You were nine years old." Shaking her head, Jean said, "I'd have had to county the years to be sure."

Even more remarkable is her reaction last January when she broke her hip. For many older people such an injury causes deep depression and a feeling of hopelessness. For Lucy it was something to get over so she could get back into the swing of things.

Challenged by Broken Hip
Before she was completely out from under the anesthetic, she was asking her secretary to bring her work into the hospital. While she recuperated at Miller's Merry Manor, she received clients and transacted business. Income tax time was approaching and she had to try to keep ahead of her work. Nurses wheeled her down the hall to answer the phone.

She didn't get her strength back over night, but she progressed from being confined to bed, to a wheelchair to a walker to the heavy cane she uses today. But Kay states that Lucy doesn't actually need it, it's more for security than anything else.

Her strong will and determination are evident through her experiences with the broken hip Dalton says. "The day she broke her hip a man had expressed interest in buying her home I took her to the emergency ward, and as she was waiting to be wheeled into the examining room, she said, "Don't contact any real estate agent. I'm not through with that house yet."

As soon as she could, she began to think about getting back on her feet Kay said. "She was determined that she was going to walk again. She cooperated fully with the doctors and the therapists."

Characterized as Generous
As people talk about her another picture emerges. "She's one of the most generous persons I have ever known," Dalton says. "To me she typifies what Christianity is all about." Mrs. Robinson confirms the impression. "She does so much for so many people that no one knows about."

What Lucy has, she has worked for and earned by herself. She never received an inheritance or anything like it, according to Mrs. Robinson. "But since she has had more, she never flaunts it."

"She's very quiet in some ways, but she's very mischievous," says Mrs. Robinson just to insure a true picture of Lucy's personality. "She like a good argument, and to top it off, she likes everything with onions (no pun intended)"

"One accomplishment of which Lucy is proud is that she still drives her Car and has never had a problem getting her driver's license. And she hasn't stopped looking to the future. Within the last year, she has purchased a farm in Whitley County. "It has any number of possibilities," she said.

She has been active in several organizations besides the American Bar Association. She is a charter member of the local Business and Professional Women's Club. The club was organized in 1927, and she served as the second president from 1929-1931. She is also a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and a charter member of the Kosciusko County Historical Society. She drew up the by-laws for the organization when it was formed 10 years ago. In addition she is a member of the Winona Lake Literary Club and the Winona Lake Presbyterian Church.

All in all Miss Lucy Upson is truly a remarkable woman who plans to retire next summer after 50 years as an attorney in Kosciusko County - maybe.

Warsaw Times Union SPOTLIGHT Magazine December 27, 1975 - January 3, 1976 Pages 12-13.


Inez Bolinger

Burial site located at Block 48, Lot 53, Space 4

By Marguerite Sand, Times-Union Women's Editor.  Transcribed by Marge Priser.

Well-Known Warsaw Painter Reveals That She Would Have Rather Been a Sculptress

Mrs. Chester (Inez) R. Bolinger, Sr., a well-known Warsaw artist of rare ability, would have rather been a sculptor. However she arrived at this decision in mature life after having achieved wide recognition as a successful painter in oils.

From early childhood Inez has maintained an avid interest in art, and in expressing herself through this medium. Born in Tipton county, near Elwood in central Indiana, she is one of four children of Mr. and Mrs. Robert H. Russell, no longer living.

No other member of her immediate family maintains an artistic bent. However, Charles M. Russell, the renowned cowboy painter, is a cousin of Mrs. Bolinger's late father. Artist Russell has accomplished outstanding work in his field. Many of his paintings sell for as high as $18,000 each. They are sought by collectors all over the world.

On her mother's side, a brother was an excellent architect. Mrs. Bolinger relates that his fine craftsmanship fascinated her as a child.

Mrs. Bolinger's brothers, Robert and John reside in Newport, Ky., a sister, Mrs. John Keifer, in Elwood. It was not until Mrs. Bolinger was six years of age that the family first noted her interest in art. During a visit to an art gallery, the youngster was so fascinated by the treasures to be found there that her mother had difficulty getting her to leave.

Sister Mary, a nun at St. Joseph's school at Elwood, recognized the talent when Mrs. Bolinger attended her classes as a second grader. The artist cherishes the memory of the Sister who took an interest in her, and who put her first picture on exhibit. Mrs. Bolinger had painted an American Beauty rose. So highly was the picture regarded by the nun that she had it framed and hung in the class room.

From that time Mrs. Bolinger drew holiday pictures and maps on the blackboard. The school years passed, she graduated from high school, married and had three children, two sons and a daughter. It was not until Mrs. Bolinger was 29 years old that she seriously considered studying art.

At the John Herron Art school at Indianapolis, design, composition and art appreciation were studied under Wiliam Forsythe; drawing under Ralph Sowell, Homer G. Davisson, of the Fort Wayne Art school, gave special instruction in landscape and still life work; Wayman Adams of New York, anatomy and portrait painting. At one time, Leo Ruckle, formerly of Huffman Lake, now of Florida, taught her techniques of pastels.

Mrs. Bolinger says, "It is my good fortune to be associated with such brilliant artists of Indiana, for they hold a prominent place in today's world of art." "For its great heritage, the people of Indiana owe much to four artists-T. C. Steele, J. Otis Adams, Otto Stark and William Forsythe. It was my privilege to study under Mr. Forsythe at the John Herron Art school."

"From 1880 to 1883, these men studied in Munich, Germany. While there, they decided upon their return to America to work towards making Indiana famous in the art world. After studying the state's natural endowments, they went to work painting its quiet meadows, brooks and rich foliage. Soon they developed a style that was as distinctive as that of the Italian schools of the Rennaissance."

"Today, hundreds of students of these artists have gained stature as painters and have learned the secret of expressing beauty on canvas."

Mrs. Bolinger is annually invited to exhibit her work by the National League of American Pen Women and the National Museum, Washington, D. C., of which she is a member.

The N. L. A. P. W. is an organization of professional women engaged in creative work under one or more of the following classifications: arts, letters and music. Founded in 1897, it boasts some of the nation's most outstanding artists and members.

In 1934, recognition came to Mrs. Bolinger when her paintings were accepted for exhibit by the Hoosier Art Salon at the Marshall Field Art gallery at Chicago. One-man exhibits have been held by Mrs. Bolinger at the Willard hotel, Washington, D. C., the Audubon gallery, Fort Wayne Art museum, John Herron Art museum, L. S. Ayers, Indianapolis, Tampa Art institute, Tampa, Fla., Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, Tex., Northern Indiana Artists, National Terry Institute, Miami, Fla., Anderson Society of Artists, and at Elwood and Tipton.

Mrs. Bolinger's prize-winning paintings are owned by art lovers over a wide area. One was recently purchased by an art collector in Maricaibo, Venezuela, South America.

The Kosciusko County Federation of Women's clubs sponsored Mrs. Bolinger's first show here in 1939. She holds a lifetime membership in the Warsaw Fine Arts club.

Clara Sackett, state art critic, says, "In spite of many handicaps and obstacles, Mrs. Bolinger has become one of Indiana's outstanding artists. Her landscapes, flowers and other subjects put on canvas fill one with a consciousness of a definite continuing purpose that harmonizes with the whole, be they scenes from far away or near.

Kosciusko county scenes are favorite painting spots for Mrs. Bolinger. One of her many prize-winning pictures is "October Reflections" painted at the Tippecanoe bridge on Road 30, west of Warsaw.

Sometimes a picture made on the spur of the moment at the instigation of sudden inspiration turns out to be a winner. When Dr. and Mrs. Dean Van Osdol (Mrs. Van Osdol is Mrs. Bolinger's daughter) and family lived on Union street, the neighborhood children loved to play in an old barn on the alley to the rear. The alley with its old barn, hollyhocks and trees and a winding path appealed to the artist. She painted the scene and called it "Margie's Alley." Wherever the picture is exhibited it wins prizes and causes favorable comment.

"The Blue Coat" is another award winner. This painting tells of man's freedom in his home. Hanging on a beautiful hand-carved Japanese screen is a man's blue coat which has draped a bowl of blue asters. On the table rests a pipe.

About ten years ago, Mrs. Bolinger became interested in clay modeling and sculpturing. She has done some very fine work in clay. She has her own kiln. It was at this time she realized that she preferred sculpting. This type of work demands heavy physical exertion, and studio floors must be reinforced to support the heavy materials used. Dust also presents a problem. Because of these problems, Mrs. Bolinger has continued painting, doing the clay modeling on the side. Sculpting, except on a small scale, is out.

Students from as far as Marion attend Mrs. Bolinger's art classes. In addition to her art work, Mrs. Bolinger takes a great deal of interest in her family. Her husband was at one time owner of a local department store located on the present site of the Gamble store. They have three children, Russell and Mrs. Dean (Marjorie) Van Osdol, of Warsaw, and Chester, of Memphis, Tenn. Dr. and Mrs. Van Osdol have seven children-Sally Jo, 20; Susan Jane, 18; Tommy, 15; Billy, 13; Tony, 10; Mary Pat, 8; and Margaret Ellen, 3. The son at Memphis has two children, Ci who is 17, and Ebbye, 13. 

Warsaw Times Union Saturday Jan. 7, 1956 


End of Tour 3