Walking Tour 2

Map of Walking Tour 2 (PDF)

Mamie Braddock

Burial site located at Block 3, Lot 26, Space 7

Former Warsaw English Teacher Publishes Book 

by Ann Wharton, Staff Writer.  Transcribed by Marge Priser.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it comes in many forms. For some it is a combination of creative beauty that strikes a special cord. That cord has been composed by Mamie Edginton Braddock, Warsaw Community High School English teacher for 42 years, in the combination of photographs taken by her nephew Paul Edginton Holmes, with the poems she has written to illustrate the pictures.

The photos are the legacy of her 27-year-old nephew who was killed July 27, 1975, as he crossed a street and was struck by a car when a woman ran a stoplight. The son of Mrs. Braddock's sister, Margaret Holmes, Paul was an artist with a camera, capturing a slice of nature with the click of the shutter. A graduate of Westmore College in Iowa and a student at West Michigan University, he was an audio-visual specialist by occupation.

The combination of the photos and Mrs. Braddock's poems, which enhance them by giving an added breath of life, is captured through the combination of "Poetry and Pictures." For example the picture entitled "Oak Leaves" is illustrated with the following poem:

The Wind
I met the wind on the wood side,
A saucy chap that day
As he pulled my hair and lashed my face
 An hurried me on my way.

Then as he raced before me
Breathless I looked to see
Him pluck a leaf from an oak top
An hurl it down to me
       - Mamie Edginton Braddock

The books, printed by Westminster Press in Winona Lake, is dedicated as a memorial to Paul and is also dedicated to all her senior English students throughout her 42 years as a teacher. Who is this woman who still insists on creative living after more than 40 years in the classroom?

Certainly her creative ways did not begin the day she retired. As a matter of fact, both her mother and father were artistic. He was a clarinet player, and her mother, a soloist. They began young Mamie's musical training with piano lessons when she was four years old. Music is second nature to her. Next to her teaching with its love of language and literature, music ranks at the top of her list of enjoyments.

She has played the church organ all her life. Her first experience was at the First Baptist Church on Center St. Where she is church organist today. Dr. Fred Olds, a Warsaw osteopath at that time, was choir director at the church; his wife Renee, was a soloist at Winona Lake and taught private lessons at a Warsaw Studio. Young Mamie Edgington accompanied her students.

Learned to Play Organ
One day Dr. Olds asked her if she would like to play the organ at the Baptist Church. "I had from September to January first to learn," she said. "I practiced every night at the Methodist Church." In the four-month period, she taught herself to play the organ and took the job at the Baptist Church in 1929.

Next Easter she will celebrate her 45th year as a church organist with a total of 33 years at Warsaw's First Baptist Church and 12 years at Trinity United Methodist Church.

"I volunteered all the years except those at Trinity," she said, "and I wish I hadn't be paid for those. If we can be a witness and let people know without bragging, it is good," she admonished.

Although teaching has been her first love, chronologically training for her profession came second to her musical training. Speaking of her high School Commencement, she recalled that Lloyd C. Douglas, then pastor of a church in Ann Arbor, Michigan before he penned "The Robe," was speaker. "I followed his career," she said.

College Education
After finishing high school, she went to Otterbein College at Westerville, Ohio. She earned her master's degree from Columbia University during the summers. She also spent a term at the Julliard School of Music. Further training was taken at the University of Washington.

Following her graduation from Otterbein, she returned to Warsaw where she substituted for one year. Then she was hired full-time not only as an English teacher, but also as head of the English department - positions she held for the next 42 years.

Seventeen seniors were enrolled in her first class. by 1968 when she retired, she taught a full schedule of senior English, and another teacher also taught a full day of five senior classes.

"We never taught detective stories," she asserted. "I think that if you don't have a common bond of great literature, you lose something" recalling that great literature was not taught just to the college-bound student. She believes the teaching of the classics of literature as an enrichment to the American culture which is sorely missed if it is lacking.

Travels Here and Abroad
"In junior English we taught American literature, composition, grammar and spelling. In the senior year, it was English literature."

To enrich her teaching, she took a trip to England, Scotland and Wales, where she took 800 slides which she incorporated into her teaching to illustrate the study of the literature. She also traveled throughout the United States, extensively in New England where she again culled information on authors for the enrichment of her American literature classes.

Two Warsaw students took top honors in the state English contest conducted at Bloomington each year. "There was always someone in the top ten. Superintendent (Carl) Burt always kept a list of the students' progress (in college), she reported. "He told us if anyone failed, but few did. They did know something."

I was through the superintendent that she also went to Fort Wayne for speed reading training which she then introduced into the Warsaw school system. "It's not for everybody" she contends. "It's not for reading for appreciation and it's not good for the elementary grades. It certainly wasn't put into the curriculum just for something new."

Started School Paper
She was also involved in the extra-curricular activities at school. She originated the literary society, Ex Libris, in the 1930's In addition, the school paper "Hi-Times" came into existence. under her guidance. Once a week, the staff gathered to write, type, lay out and mimeograph the paper. Then everyone headed to her home for food.

In 1944 the organist of the First Baptist Church, Mamie Edginton, married the superintendent of the Sunday School, C. A. Braddock. The ceremony took place at the end of the morning worship service. "The church was packed with students," she said. Her husband died in 1951.

For the present, Mrs. Braddock is a member of the Delta Kappa Gamma, Alpha Nu Chapter, an honorary society for women educators in the county of which she was a charter member.

She is also a member of the Zerelda Reading club and "all those educational things," including the retired teachers associations on the national, state and local level. she helped organize the Kosciusko County chapter.

Red Cross Volunteer
Since her mother's death, she has been actively involved in the work of the Kosciusko County Chapter of the American Red Cross as assistant treasurer, keeping the books - "a time consuming job."

In 1960 she was honored as Warsaw's Woman of the Year. In addition, she has been awarded a plaque by Gov. Otis Bowen for her volunteer service, and she has been honored by Westmore College for her contributions to the college from which Paul was graduated.

Although she doesn't communicate on it much anymore, a year ago, the appropriate handle "B Sharp" was heard by CB'ers. "It's so noisy now, and so many people have them," she said. It just isn't the same and she has lost interest. Her favorite things today are her music, her friends, her church and her home. "I love to make music," Even after all these years, she practices the organ in her home every day.

Loves Beautiful Things
"I used to jot down some thoughts for the day or some beauty that I had seen. I love beautiful things." Her latest venture in living combines her love for her nephew and the beautiful things in life into one with the publication of "Pictures and Poetry." Dedicated to her nephew, Paul, she encompasses students who passed through her classrooms for 42 years.

To Paul
Little boy of mine
Because of you,
All other boys are
 Important, too.

Through you I see
How dear they'd be
If they, like you
Belonged to me.
      - Mamie Edgington Braddock

The volume is now on sale at both Readmore on North Buffalo St. and Ramsey News Agency on East Winona Ave. as well as at The Sand Kracker on East Center St., Hart Plaza. Her goal for the future is stated concisely and reveals something of her philosophy of life. "When I get old, I want to be a nice old lady."

(Note: Mrs. Braddock's maiden name is spelled two different ways in this article. Edgington and Edginton. I do not know which is correct.)

Warsaw Times Union Wed. Aug. 24, 1977

Elmer Funk

Burial site located at Gore 4 Lot 1

by Virginia Zuck, Times Union Feature Writer.  Transcribed by Marge Priser.

Elmer B. Funk, lifetime resident of Warsaw and chairman of the Lake City bank's board of directors had a birthday today-his eighty-second.

Years don't really signify, say those who know him best, as Mr. Funk is one of the most alert, informed, young-thinking men of the community-and easily one of the most popular.

Slender and muscular, this man with white hair, twinkling blue eyes and warm smile, has been a steadfast worker for community and religious projects all his life.

He didn't want any fuss over his birthday, so there was none. Sunday after church, he and Mrs. Funk dined out with their son, Edward and daughter-in-law, Mary Edith, of Warsaw. Edward, who is a contract representative at the Veterans hospital in Marion, is here only on weekends and holidays.

Birthday Surprise
Since this tribute is a birthday surprise for Mr. Funk, we couldn't check with him on his schedule for the day-without giving away the secret. Instead, we made some inquires elsewhere and are using a biography written by Miss Janet Foresman a few years ago for a high school English assignment, supplementing with reminiscences we coaxed from Mr. Funk some time back.

One of Indiana's best known bankers, Elmer Funk has a most remarkable affection for his home community. Men admire him because of his integrity, keen mind, his interest in all things that concern the farmer-weather, crop progress, marketing condition. He's just as concerned with the problems and well being of the industrialist and the businessman; those who work in factories, offices and stores; young folks who graduate and those who seek advanced schooling; newly-married couples establishing their first home; the middle-aged couples whose children have gone out into the world; and older folks who appreciate a reminiscent chuckle about by-gone days when life was more simple, when there seemed to be more to know about your neighbors and townsmen.

He will Remember
If your family settled here generations ago, chances are that Elmer Funk will remember your grandparents and share a little story about them, some little anecdote that warms your heart, a tribute to the folks who by faith and hard work, made this community in Indiana a better place in which to live.

If you are a woman, you will be charmed by an old-fashioned courtesy and gentleness of manner in Mr. Funk's greeting.

The old Funk home, where Elmer grew up, was on West Main street on the site now occupied by the senior high school. Elmer was the son of Florence (Sapp) and William Bramwell Funk. His father usually called Bram, served Kosciusko county as treasurer and auditor, later became president of the Lake City bank. Elmer would have preferred being called Bram like his father but it didn't work out that way.

Enjoyed Life
Bram Funk was jovial and generous, fond of music, fishing and politics. He sang in the Methodist choir and was its director for many years. He knew every voter in the county by his first name (women had not yet won the ballot). He liked to read and owned a fair library.

The Funk family, originally Quakers in Pennsylvania, moved here from Ohio in 1844. The first to come was Bram's brother Joe who had a general store on South Buffalo street, where the Gamble store is now. To replenish supplies he would go to Fort Wayne by canal boat or with a team over the rough road east. He brought back sugar, tea, coffee, salt, bolts of cloth and numerous other items for his thriving business. Merchant Joe Funk was also chief of the volunteer fire department.

Quite a Place
The Bram Funk house was situated on a terraced knoll with a grove of evergreens in front. Birds refreshed themselves in the spray of a large circular fountain and pool where brightly colored fish darted to and fro or hid beneath clumps of watercress. There was an orchard of cherry, apple, peach, plum and pear trees at the back. On the northwest corner of the tract were the barn, cow shed, buggy shed, granary and chicken coops. The Funks usually kept a couple of cows as well as a horse named Comet who had racing blood. Comet was excitable, served as a pacemaker on the race track.

While still a small boy, Elmer started helping with the chores. He learned to ride a horse rather well, but preferred his pony, small brown and swift, and no saddle. One afternoon when he was rounding up some cattle they came to a large mudhole. Elmer decided to go right but the pony had other ideas and the rider was dumped into the mud.

His Teachers
At West Ward his teachers included Lura Davenport and Mrs. J. D. Kutz. Later he went to high school on East Market where Union Tool Co. is located. James Henry was superintendent. Elmer liked math and English best of all his studies.

Summer was a wonderful time of year for the Funk children, Charles and Elmer, Jeannette and Ruth, because the family camped out in Spring Fountain park, now the town of Winona Lake.

The Beyer brothers, prosperous farmers who built up a huge produce business supplied hotels and retailers in eastern states, had acquired the land and erected a hotel. Spring Fountain park became a popular resort, much favored by convention groups.

At first the Funks spent only a week or two. After they built Seven Oaks cottage they lived there all summer. All the land east of Chestnut street was a cornfield on Melvin Wilcox farm. When he went after milk, Elmer sauntered through an orchard, now the site of the Presbyterian church.

Know General Carnahan
The most resplendent figure at the park was General Carnahan who had fought for the Union in the Civil War. Carnahan was commander of the Uniformed Ranks of the Knights of Pythias in Indiana. Pythian encampments drew thousands of men and their families.

Drills were conducted on the fairgrounds on McDonald Island. On important occasions there were elaborate parades. For a youngster to be allowed to participate was sheer glory. It happened to Elmer at 12 or 13 when General Carnahan made him an adjutant. His principal duty was to deliver messages to the officers with all the military formality he could muster.

In the earliest days at Spring Fountain people lived in tents on the hillside and prepared their meals in a community tent. Some families just brought a picnic lunch and stayed for a day. As crowds got bigger and stayed longer, more attractions were added to the park.

Winona Inn a Stable
Winona Inn was the stable for horses in the popular harness races. Many a local man used the track for exercising and testing his horses several months of the year.

Horse racing wasn't the only sport for younger males. Elmer and his friends were interested in running, wrestling, and tumbling, but boxing was most favored. Enthusiasts included Frank Lynch and Wes Light, sons of Methodist pastors. Charlie Woods, Quincy Hanna and Elmer's cousin, Charles Sapp. They were earnest about their training which Wes supervised rigorously. Elmer was a pretty good boxer, light, but quick and accurate with his fists. He perfected his swimming until he could swim the entire length of Winona Lake.

Probably the first bicycle in Warsaw was a homemade one, built by Ray Trish, a wagonmaker by trade. Elmer believes his "high wheeler" ordered from Chicago by his father, was the first "store bought" model seen here. Learning to ride the newfangled machine was a tricky business and he collected plenty of hard bumps when he fell from the lofty perch. Along came the safety bike, with its strong frame, wheels of equal size, air-filled tires and a chain drive. Bicycle clubs were organized and racing became popular with Bill Daniels capturing most of the prizes. Elmer has had several bikes since and rode one daily to and from the bank for years and years.

When football was organized he trained as a quarterback. In winter it was fun to organize a bobsled expedition to Pierceton or Leesburg. You needed lots of straw, hot bricks, two strong horses to pull the sled and perhaps an oyster supper at the end of the ride.

Elmer has always found great pleasure in music. He sang with a glee club and the Methodist choir, became its director in 1899 and continued as such for 30 years. He still sings every Sunday.

His band work began when he played clarinet for the Fourth Regiment band in the Indiana National Guard. In 1898, the Spanish-American War started and his outfit was hustled down to Indianapolis. It was April and so cold they nearly froze in their tents on bivouac at Fort Benjamin Harrison. It seems that for two weeks they had no heat and no food except for hard tack. Once a wagon load of onions came through and they raided it, hiding the loot under their mattresses.

Fellow musicians included Eff Sharp, Lawrence Swihart, Harry Edginton, Bill Stewart and Percy Mumaw, a brother of Clark, veteran businessman. Elmer played in and directed Warsaw bands for 25 years.

Career starts in 1895
After high school graduation Elmer attended business college in Indianapolis. His banking career began in October, 1895 when at 19 he became a collector and assistant bookkeeper at the Lake City. It was a logical choice of jobs in a familiar atmosphere. As a youngster he had enjoyed squirming through the spindles that separated the bank lobby from his father's office. Brother Charles, 10 years older, had been bookkeeper there for some time.

When Elmer joined the staff, the assets were about $200,000 and all bookkeeping work was done by hand. Now assets are well over $10,375,000 and the bank uses a great deal of electrical equipment such as comptometers, posting and proof machines and the recordak which photographs all checks.

One day Elmer was on usher duty in church and a pretty young Miss asked friends who he was. When she heard his name, she said with disdain, "Funk? If I had a name like that I'd have it changed." This attitude didn't last, however, because in 1899 the young lady, Miss Mae Floyd, became Mrs. Elmer Funk. At that time she was cashier in the county treasurer's office. Later she served as deputy city treasurer under Mr. Funk.

Earns $50 Month
When they were married Elmer's wages were $50 per month which covered living expenses, tithing for the church and insurance. Band friends gave them a nuptial serenade at their first home, a duplex on South Indiana street where the Methodist parsonage is now.

He has been president of the Kosciusko County Bankers Association, the seven-county group, and Region One of the Indiana Bankers organization; chairman of the state banking division and vice president of the American Bankers association of Indiana

For 25 years he was chairman of the County Vigilantes, a group of men under the sheriff pledged to help in case of an emergency. Their adventures still pop up occasionally when veteran newspaper men start recalling exciting stories of the past.

Always of Service
It would be difficult to name any worthwhile organization or project in which Mr. Funk hasn't had a hand sometime or another. He was on the Salvation Army advisory board for 50 years, was a charter member and treasurer of the Go-To-Church Movement, and treasurer of the Warsaw-Winona Lake Youth for Christ. He's a member of the Masonic Lodge and Knights Templar, a charter member of Kiwanis. For more than 60 years he has been of service to the Methodist church, the Lake City bank and the Winona Christian Assembly.

Despite all the banking honors bestowed upon him he treasures even more his memories as Winona's first official gatekeeper and the 30 years he directed the Methodist choir.

As an Assembly officer he has met many interesting and famous people such as Admiral Richard Byrd, John Philip Sousa, Madame Schumann-Heink, Ruth Bryan Owen, Gladys Swarthout, James Melton, Albert Salvi, Billy Graham and Will Rogers, to name but a few.

While Mr. Funk no longer takes such an active part in musical events as he formerly did, music and books are still very important in his life. His fine classical records are played very often. He reads a lot of books (non-fiction only) as well as business and news magazines, "In fact," says an admirer, "he's up on everything from rock `n' roll to satellites, local, national and world events, new westerns or what have you. "He's simply amazing!"

The community agrees and offers a respectful and loving birthday salute to one of its most esteemed citizens.

Edith Cook

Burial site located at Block 5, Lot 7. Space 7

Edith Cook Warsaw's Dedicated "Pet Shop Lady" 

By Jo An Merkle, Staff Writer.  Transcribed by Marge Priser.

For years, Warsaw residents have dubbed her "The Pet Store Lady". And that's who Edith Cook is. What she lives is who she is: the kind owner of Tru-Pal Pet Shop, South Buffalo St., Warsaw and a person who loves living things.

Inside her pet store, a green and red front parrot named Carmen squawks and babbles "Hello" and "Hurry Up". Danny, a gray and yellow cockatoo with rosy cheeks, whistles "Yankee Doodle". Fish swim with little concern about what's outside their safe, glass ponds. Curling, furry hamsters sleep. Poodle puppies bark and wag their tails. And four chee-cheeing monkeys climb their cages and sing and squeal, completing the menagerie.

"I've always been surrounded by pets, I've just had to be". Explains Mrs. Cook, who has affectionately raised and sold animals here for 54 years. A native of Warsaw area, Mrs. Cook began her thriving pet business when she was 19 years old, two years after she married George Rife, who died in the 1960's. During those early years, she primarily bred and raised fox terriors and German shepherds. Her pet business began to grow concurrently with the natural instincts of the animals she loved.

"How did I begin my pet store?" She laughs, throws back her head. Blue eyes twinkle. Her red curls bob. "Well I had a little canary hen and she wanted to nest. And then my goldfish spawned and I traded some goldfish for guppies and . . . It's something you just can't fight; you might as well give in to it," she smiles, shrugs, smiles.

"The pet business has to be a hobby as well as a business. It was just cut out for me," explains Mrs. Cook. "It was work I could do at home and still be near my family".

Mrs. Cook is not a person who loves pets solely; her love extends farther than that. She is the mother of four children (two adopted) and has partly reared two other youngsters. Her four children are Merl, Hauth, George Rife and Louise Hayden, all of Warsaw and Leonard Rife, of Florida.

In the 50's as the pet store grew, Mrs. Cook moved her menagerie to what was once a dairy, but what is presently her remodeled pet shop. Love and concern for harmless creatures prompted Mrs. Cook, with Robert Stafford, Beulah Cook and Dr. Frank Tucker, to found the Lakeland Humane Society for Kosciusko County in 1951.

She relates that 23 years ago police here were capturing stray dogs and locking them in tiny houses without food or water. Some of the animals died. Some were sold to laboratories for vivisection. While attempting to establish the shelter, Mrs. Cook and Stafford collected scraps from local restaurants and bought food with money from their own pockets to feed the strays impounded by the city.

She and Stafford also conducted food sales and "Wag Day" to siphon donations for building the animal shelter. Two other fund raising programs for the shelter were a square dance at the Eagles Lodge, assisted by Mr. and Mrs. Harry Hoops and a style show in the Westminster building, Winona Lake, where Ruth Rodeheaver Thomas contributed singing entertainment.

The ground where the humane shelter now stands, off East Winona Ave., Warsaw, was donated by William Bibler, Warsaw, and with the help of Mayor Paul (Mike) Hodges, who volunteered manpower for the construction, a home for Kosciusko County's strays was established.

Mrs. Cook, currently vice-president of the Human Society, is known for her unusual rapport with animals and stresses the importance of decency and respect toward all creatures. This attitude is reflected in her views concerning ownership of exotic pets, different natures of animal breeds and training dogs.

Mrs. Cook believes exotic animals are poor choices for pets because people don't know how to care for them and they die. "Also wild animals should not be pets because they revert to their natural ways when they're older and become torn between you (the owner) and their wild instincts," she states.

As Mrs. Cook began to expound about different natures of animal breeds, Marigold, a three-year-old apricot poodle began giving birth to squeaking orange puppies. Keeping an eye on Marigold, Mrs. Cook explained, "You can't mold an animal to be exactly what you want. They have certain natures that you can't train out of them.

"For example, if you raised a collie, a dalmatian, a fox terrier and a beagle in town and exactly the same way, and if you then took them to a farm in the country and turned them loose, the collie would naturally go to the barn, the dalmatian would run with the horses, and the fox terrior would be hunting rats around buildings and the beagle would hunt in the woods."

Mrs. Cook paused to assist with the delivery of Marigold's puppy, then continued the conversation. In some ways animals have it over us. Many of their senses are more developed than humans."

"I say, if humans are supposed to be smarter than dogs, then we should learn to think like dogs. Much of dog obedience training is teaching the "master" to communicate with his dog. "Dogs don't reason and think as quickly as people their thinking is much simpler," described Mrs. Cook.

Mrs. Cook contends, because a dog reasons simply, the best way to train him is by positive reward, rather than a complicated, negative conditioning process which often confuses the animal.

"When a dog wets, some people say to spank him and say "no-no." I don't agree. When you see the dog is going to do something wrong, say "Wait! Wait! Wait!" (she squeals); rush to the animal; pick him up; and put him outside. Then brag on him," she instructs.

After delivering puppy after puppy, staying up many a night with an expectant mother dog. Then working all day in the shop without a wink of sleep, for 54 years, the petite Mrs. Cook has revealed intentions to sell her pet shop. She explained she is 73, and it is time to leave the business.

However, Mrs. Cook added, she will only sell her shop to a person who feels loyalty and love for the animals who live there. "I won't sell it to just anybody, she states flatly. "Selling the pets hurt me up to a point," she agrees, "but when I sell them to people who care for them and love them, I know they'll be happy," she brightens.

Behind the main room of the pet shop there is a trimming parlor where Mrs. Cool and assistants groom between five and six dogs per day. Adjoining the grooming parlor is a bird room where more than 50 parakeets and canaries nest, warming their tiny eggs. Also living in the bird room are gerbils, tiny kangaroo-like mice creatures that mate for life, yawning longhaired hamsters, mother mice with naked-pink babies and guinea pigs of all colors.

In another back room, Mrs. Cook's monkey quartet plays and screeches. There is a Titi monkey named Toko who is 14 years old, unusual for a Titi, which normally lives only five years in captivity, He loves to hear people sing and will join in concert to "On Top Of Old Smokey." Other members of the foursome are a nine-year-old Woolley monkey named Petula, and Bimbo, a scalawaggy male Capuchin notorious for sneaking from his cage and releasing his Capuchin friend, Maggie, from her cage.

Maggie is a fuzzy, black, 14 year old primate with dark, round eyes. She likes to read, write, and most of all, kiss. Holding Maggie on her lap and handing the monkey paper and pencil, Mrs. Cook urged: "Write a little, Maggie." To which Maggie replied with a kiss. "Please, Maggie write a little" persistently pleaded Mrs. Cook, as she received another quick, wet smack-on-the-lips and a grin from the happy disobedient individual.

Though Maggie finally scribbled a brief note to Mrs. Cook, she was more interested in thumbing through magazines and catching up on the latest pet news. For about five minutes, Maggie intently leafed through a pair of magazines, then mischievously dialed a series of digits on the telephone, and abruptly left Mrs. Cook's study, presumably on a mission to converse with Toko, who was sleeping back at the cage.

Maggie and her primate playmates often accompany the Cooks on short trips. However, the quartet was omitted from the honeymoon vacation when Mrs. Cook and her husband, Raymond, were married five years ago. "That's one time the monkeys didn't get to go along," twinkled Mrs. Cook. However, Maggie did take a tour through the Ford Museum, in Dearborn, Mich., where she "liked everything but the stuffed horses."

The monkeys eat practically anything, monkey biscuits, meal worms, eggs and meat, including chicken and hot dogs. Petula is the only one of the bunch who likes bananas, but all four are lovers of grapes and peanuts. The primates delight to lick cake batter from beaters. "They get excited about as much as any children do," laughs Mrs. Cook.

Mrs. Cook says she'll probably never sell the ring-tails because: "People don't know how to take care of monkeys and they often get tired of them. Another personality in the shop is Pierre, a 12-year-old registered white poodle who has fathered most of the white toy poodles in Warsaw and reputedly sachets in proud fashion before a mirror, admiring his fluffy coat after a groom and clean.

Carmen, the three-year-old parrot is leaning to sing "How Great Thou Art" Mrs. Cook remembers buying Carmen "when she was just in pin feathers." Constant companions of the Cooks are Mimi and Herschey, two tiny poodles, And in a bowl in the shop swims a strange phantom catfish. The fish's body is transparent permitting the view to watch it internal body functioning.

Though surrounded by celebrities such as Maggie and Pierre, Mrs. Cook is also known for her 15-minute WRSW radio talk show which was on the air for seven and one-half years, beginning in 1951. She also wrote a column in The Times-Union during 1964 and 1965, called "Let's Talk About Pets."

The column contained tips about pet care and anecdotes and histories of animals. One history included in her column was the tale of the little Chihuahua dog. As Mrs. Cook concluded describing the items, the chocolate poodle, Herschey, wagged his tail and looked at her, Carman called "Hurry up, hurry up," and Mrs. Cook wondered out-loud where Maggie went.

Then "The Pet Shop Lady" looked around her at the menagerie and, smiling, said, "The pets are my life." She paused, then concluded, "They're everything to me."

Warsaw Times-Union Spotlight March 16-23, 1975
Transcription by Jane Leedy


Betty DuBois

Burial site located at Block 5, Lot 60, Space 5

By Barbara Lozier,Times-Union Feature Writer,  Transcribed by Marge Priser.

Betty DuBois Reviews Life Here As Wife Of A Doctor Describes Warsaw's Earlier Era 

Dr. and Mrs. DuBois, who reside at 800 East Center street, will celebrate quietly next Monday their 46 years of married life. "Those years have been most gratifying," Mrs. DuBois said. "It's a great satisfaction to be part of a doctor's life."

Mrs. DuBois has retained her radiant beauty and charm through the years. Both have remained "young at heart" despite the edging of time.

A Local Beauty
A most hospitable couple, they continue to hold the interests of their community at heart. Both have given of unestimated time to public service, social work and civic projects. They are proud of Warsaw, happy to Warsawans.

Mrs. DuBois is the daughter of the late William and Lillian Reed, a prominent family of the community 50 years ago. Her father founded and operated the Hotel Hays here, now owned by Stanford Smith.

It was in the year 1905 that young and handsome Dr. DuBois, fresh from medical school, came to Warsaw to set up practice. He located his office in the hotel. Betty, an attractive girl and much sought after by the town's young male set, soon caught the doctor's eye. He courted her at every opportunity. Four years later they were married.

June of this year they attended the 50th anniversary of his graduation from medical school at the University of Cincinnati.

Served in War
World War I came to the United States in 1917. Dr. DuBois enlisted his services with the medical corps and became a captain before signing of the armistice. Following the war Dr. DuBois opened offices in the present Warsaw clinic building on South Indiana street. Years before his semi-retirement he occupied offices located at 208 East Center street where Dr. John L. Hillery now practices.

Mrs. DuBois looks back on their early years together with pleasure. "We belong to the old days in Warsaw," she said. "My husband in those first years had no means of transportation. He walked. He later had a horse and buggy, then a crude automobile. Many times we pushed the auto over small hills."

House Calls 50 Cents
Speaking of the ignorance of the benefits of medicine in those early days, Mrs. DuBois said, "The people were afraid to take diphtheria preventative serum. The ignorance was not the fault of the people. They didn't have books, magazines, newspapers, radio or TV to inform them as we do today.

"I was, and still am, very interested in the science of medicine," she continued. "I think that if a wife can become interested in her husband's work or profession, her life will be much more interesting. I loved to be in the office, to get acquainted with the doctor's patients. I also enjoyed accompanying him on calls.

"In those early days an office call was 50 cents and a house call $1. Being the wife of a doctor had given me a better understanding of people, has enabled me to see life from more than a single angle."

Mr. and Mrs. DuBois have a son and daughter Clifford Reed DuBois, who works for National Geographic society, Washington D.C., and Mrs. Verner Eliason, of Denver, Colo. They have one grandson, Mark Reed Eliason, who is two-and-a-half-years-old.

Much progress has been made in the field of medicine. DuBois has witnessed and been a part of this progress. There was no hospital in Warsaw during the first years of his practice. Surgical patients were removed to larger nearby metropolitan communities for operations. The original McDonald hospital, located on South Indiana street, was constructed in 1911, five years after Dr. DuBois came to Warsaw. It was built by the late Dr. Angus C. McDonald. The county had 29 practicing physicians at that time. Three still live: Dr. DuBois, Dr. C. V. Thomas, of Leesburg, who continues to practice at the age of 81, and Dr. Worvel, of North Manchester. The original McDonald hospital was later converted into an apartment dwelling following construction of the present facilities by Dr. John R. Baum on East Center street (White Hill) in July 1931

Great Service
Dr. DuBois has not retired from practice in the true sense of the word. He cares for county home residents and inmates needing medical help at the county jail. He also is the acting physician here when the Fort Wayne blood mobile makes its periodic visits to our county. Dr. DuBois services as examining doctor have proved of invaluable aid to our local Red Cross workers.

Dr. DuBois' medical practice was interrupted for a second time Dec. 12, 1932, when he was appointed mayor by the city council to fill the vacancy created by the death of Lewis J. Bibler. In November 1934, he was elected to continue as mayor for another term which ended Dec. 31, 1938

It was during his tenure as mayor that Dr. DuBois no doubt rendered one of his greatest services to Warsaw. He assumed office in the height of the great national depression. It was by his keen guidance and business ability that Warsaw managed its way through the depression without shutting down schools and doing away with many necessary services ordinarily assumed by the city. Doctor DuBois made the job a full-time one in addition to his demanding duties as a physician. It could be rightfully described that "he ran the town on a shoe-string." Few were able to pay their local taxes at this time.

Loves Town
Mrs. DuBois served as a member of the Warsaw-Wayne township library board for many years. She is an honorary member of the Warsaw Reading club, Mothers' study club and active in various women's organizations of the Presbyterian church. Mrs. DuBois is a charter member of the local Tri Kappa sorority.

Her main interests, she points out are family, church, friends and good books. She has spent her entire life in Warsaw. For 67 of her 68 years she has lived on East Center street.

She says of Warsaw, "I don't believe there is a community in the world where I would rather have spent my life. Warsaw has a kind of a warmth. It's just the right size, has high standards. If people are to be happy anywhere, they could be happy in Warsaw." 

Warsaw Times-Union Saturday, September 29, 1956


Virginia Miner

Burial site located at Block 17, Lot 37, Space 7

by Marguerite Sand  Times-Union Women's Editor.  Transcribed by Marge Priser.

Virginia Scott Miner, Former Warsaw Resident, Poet of Note 

"The world is full of poetry," it has been said. Not all of us are aware of it. Nor are many of us able to express it. Such is not the case of Virginia Scott Miner, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Scott, of 314 North Buffalo street.

Shafts of moonlight on the lake, a lily, rain, the flight of a bird all evoke words from the poet that have their own music. Mrs. Miner, a native of Lebanon, Ind., came to Warsaw with her parents and sister, Wilma when she was very young. From the first she showed an aptness to learn and an interest in those things about her. In school she always good at the head of her class, both at Warsaw and at Northwestern university were she majored in English.

As a student at the University, Mrs. Miner became interested in writing. Poetry was her hobby. She noticed that at the university there was a tendency to discredit moral principles, whose value had been learned as a child at home. One day, she wrote "Credo" in protest, affirming her faith in God.

Until heroic passion's stately song
and martial ring of trumpet call,
To fight the lesser for the greater cause
Can fail to stir that hidden thing,
That subtle, inner being that
Thru countless ages, men have called a soul;
Until divinity no longer speaks
In every breeze, nor we perceive
In glorious radiance of a far spread grace,
The rapture on the mother's face
When first she views her child;
Until a falling star, a field-born flower,
No longer wakes a paean of praise;
Until this creature we call mortal man
Has understood infinity-or ever can,
I shall believe in God.

Soon Mrs. Miner's works began to appear in the Ladies Home Journal, the Indianapolis News, New York Herald Tribune, New York Times, Saturday Evening Post, Wings, Ave Maria and The Lantern.

Shortly after her graduation, she married Dewey Miner, a Warsaw boy. He is a graduate of Purdue university. For the past 30 years he has been a professor of physics in Kansas City, Mo., schools. Recently he was appointed supervisor of science of the entire school system in Kansas City. The Miners have one daughter, Margaret Virginia, who graduated from her father's alma mater. She worked six years for DuPont on the east coast.

At Kansas City, Mrs. Miner first substituted as a teacher in the schools, and for a number of years taught full time. She is now an English teacher at Pembroke Country Day school, a private school for boys. She is the only woman on the faculty.

Not only can Mrs. Miner write beautiful and many times profound verse, she is an accomplished pianist, giving her first recital at the age of 13.

Many of her writings are about things of nature. The summers of her childhood and youth were spent at Little Chapman Lake, where her parents had owned a cottage for many years. Mrs. Miner's latest poem was inspired by a blue heron she saw while visiting the Scotts this past summer. It will be interesting to read it when it appears in the Saturday evening Post. it is simply entitled "The Blue Heron."

The Johnny Appleseed legend has always been of special interest to Mrs. Miner, who has written enough poems on the subject to compile a book. Two years ago she spent some time abroad. The setting of an old Scottish castle, Holyrood, inspired her to write about it.

Her mother's favorite is-

I have cleaned house
In my heart today.
Cobwebs of malice
Are swept away:
Hurt and resentment-
Trash from the past-
Wait for the cleansing
Match, at last.
Weary, I watch
Now the task is done.
Strange-through clean windows
How bright is the sun.

One of the most beautiful, thought-provoking verse Mrs. Miner has written is "Many-Angel River" key poem of a compilation of her works.

Many-Angel River
Mother, let me go and play
Where the rushes quiver
At the margin, by the edge
Of Many-Angel river.

Let me gather there for you
Just one sculptured lily,
Where the irridescent fish
Parts the waters stilly-

Pause and sparkle-slip away
Past the ever-knowing;
Mother, let me flat along
Where the tide is going.

You might sink beneath the waves
And their velvet hold you-
All that silver-rippled strength
Might to close enfold you.

There is such a little space
(Scantly bubbled breath)
Keeping you apart from them-
Hush! (Keep farther, Death!)

Virginia Scot Miner's poems lend the mundane, the prosaic things of life, radiance. When you read her verse, you recognize many of your own thoughts-thoughts that come in the quietness of night, in the midst of the beauties of day. Thoughts that never become articulate for lack of expression.

End of Tour 2